Part of the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, Glen Burnie was founded in 1774 by Col. James Wood, a Revolutionary War patriot and Governor of Virginia. His son Robert built the home here in 1793. In the early 1800s the Woods united with the Glass family, also of the Winchester area, through marriage. During the Civil War Glen Burnie was occupied, pillaged and ransacked by both sides as Winchester changed hands more than 70 times during the War. During Reconstruction the Glass family rebuilt their fortune through Oklahoma oil industry investments.

During the 1950s Julian Wood Glass Jr. gained the property through inheritance and the purchase of his sibling's shares. He set about restoring Glen Burnie and creating a magnificent home and high society entertainment hub with his partner R. Lee Taylor. Historic Glen Burnie House and Gardens were opened to the public in 1997 after Julian Wood Glass Jr.'s death as a stipulation of his will.

Historic Glen Burnie features a self-guided tour of the house and gardens as well as special events and exhibits. The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley hosts events here, and the historic property is available for private events. A walking tour of the property features seven acres of gardens, statues and an outdoor picnic area. Admission to Historic Glen Burnie is included with admission to the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley.

Pictured at the top: The back or carriage-side entrance of Glen Burnie House that was built in 1793 by Robert Wood, son of Col. James Wood, patriot and Governor of Virginia.

glen burnie drawing room

The drawing room at Glen Burnie opens to a terrace garden through French doors.

glen burnie cobblestone garden

Cobblestone paths wind through the Glen Burnie Gardens.

glen burnie sculpture garden

Glen Burnie has a flower and sculpture garden.

glen burnie pink pagoda

The Pink Pagoda offers a nice place to sit and relax and enjoy the views.

Historical Photo

Glen Burnie Winchester

Glen Burnie, Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, 1935 (Library of Congress) Glen Burnie House was indeed a scary-looking place before its renovation by Julian Wood Glass Jr. and his partner R. Lee Taylor.