Thought to be the tallest stacked stone building in the United States, the circa 1742 five-story Chapman’s Mill was operated primarily as a corn mill powered by water from nearby Bull Run Creek. During the Civil War Confederates surrounded the mill with livestock pens and used the mill for meat curing and as a distribution center. The seven-story mill was used by sharpshooters on both sides during the Civil War to defend the pass through the Bull Run Mountains at Thoroughfare Gap. In fact, the Battle of Thoroughfare Gap took place in and around the mill as Federals tried to prevent the Confederates from marching through the Gap and joining forces for the Second Battle of Manassas.

The Mill continued to operate from that time until 1951. When nearby Interstate 66 was built, the highway was rerouted to preserve the Chapman Mill Historic Site. Yet, in 1998 arson left the mill a hulking ruin. The mill walls have been stabilized with steel cross beams, and it is safe to walk around and through the structure. The original Beverley Mill Store stands near the mill on the site. There is also a shady picnic grove for relaxing and enjoying your lunch.

The Bull Run Mountains Natural Area is located adjacent to the Chapman Mill Historic Site and features over six miles of easy to moderate level hiking trails through scenic natural areas and portions of the Thoroughfare Gap Battlefield. An information kiosk with a trail map is located near the entrance to the mill site.

Pictured at the top: The Chapman Mill Historic Site is an active archaeology site and features the preserved ca. 1934 Beverley Mill Store, the stabilized ruins of the ca. 1742 Chapman's Mill and a pleasant picnic grove.

chapman mill steel cross beams

Steel cross beams help stabilize the Chapman Mill structure.

chapman mill picnic grove

Chapman Mill Historic Site features a shady picnic grove.

Historical Photo

beverleys mill

Meadowland (Ruins), State Route 55, near Beverley's Mill, Haymarket, Prince William County, VA , 1933 (Library of Congress photo of the original Chapman Mill)