Discovered by railroad workers in 1884, Shenandoah Caverns was opened as a show cave in 1922 and later became famous for its 'bacon' formations that were featured in National Geographic magazine. The caverns are naturally colorful with yellow, orange, red and green hues in massive flowstones and draperies.

Shenandoah Caverns offers daily guided tours. The tour is accessed by an elevator that leads down to a walking path that winds through the caverns. The cavern rooms are generally large with high ceilings, although the packed dirt path can be wet and possibly slippery in places as well as narrow with low headroom requiring taller persons to bend down quite a bit. The guided 1-mile tour lasts one hour and takes visitors past all of the cavern’s famed formations including the Bacon formations and the Grotto of the Gods. At the end of the tour an elevator leads to the surface.

NOTE: 80% of the Shenandoah Caverns tour is accessible for mobility devices. Visitors are welcome to call ahead and discuss their accessibility needs before touring the caverns.

Shenandoah Caverns features a gift shop, an original 1957 cafe that is open seasonally, tastings of local Shenandoah Valley wines, and a picnic area with views of the beautiful Shenandoah Valley.

Pictured at the top: Shenandoah Caverns are adorned with colorful flowstones and draperies.

luray caverns formations

Growing only one inch every 120 years, the Cavern’s formations produce an otherworldly landscape.

luray caverns dream lake

An elevator leads down to the cavern tour and returns visitors to the surface afterwards.

luray caverns saracens tent

80% of the cavern tour is wheelchair accessible.